Monday, September 01, 2008

VACATION, all i ever wanted

Here we are, having completed the first 4 nights of tour, kicking back with the fam in Ann Arbor. Adam (my nephew) is blaring a theramin version of "Crazy" on his neighboring computer. Ian is cleaning up from the fucking fantastic meal we just feasted on.

Tour is definitely off to a great start - old friends and sing-alongs at The Black Cat in DC, filling Tritone in Philly beyond capacity, meeting super cool kids in Morgantown, WV and Pittsburgh... but it's awesome to be getting a break for a couple days. We have a lot of plans for our day off, including GETTING SOME FUCKING SIDE MIRRORS FOR THE VAN (no more mystery merging, please), me getting a massage (see below for details on my personal HELL), doing tons of promotion work for upcoming shows, and most importantly...9/02.

SO. Tomorrow is an official Shondes holiday: 9/02 - the premiere of the new 90210. Ian is cooking again for the party -- the menu is slated to include vegan mega-burgers and peach pie for those of you who know what this means. Ian will also, obviously, be wearing a Nat costume and offering gentle guidance to anyone who wanders in with a troubled face. Oh, and 3 scoops of ice cream (served by Temim in full Cindy Walsh regalia).

Moving on....
A recurring conversation over here revolves around the ideal Shondes cover song.... I can't really reveal the options, but would welcome your suggestions? My dad has like, 15, so I KNOW you have some too. (To update on other happenings in this room -- Adam and Eli are currently working on a mandolin/ukelele Beirut duet... I believe this will be on youtube imminently. Search for: "when 2 ones attempt to play music together")...

Personally, I'm thrilled to have time off here because of my personal hell condition which = my worst nightmare. My left vocal cord is swollen, making my voice "aspirate." In other words, swelling means your vocal cords can't close all the way, which means there's always air escaping when you sing. This makes you sing harder, to produce the same sound you're used to, which in turn increases the swelling. (For those of you familiar with enneagram, read: when 8 goes to 5 and fixates alone in silence. The van is my 5 hive before shows.)

So I'll be using tonight and tomorrow to NOT TALK and steam my throat, and basically be as fucking high maintenance as I've ever been in my life. But I figure, I can at least add to the growing canon of vocal swelling/nodes/polyps kvetching. At least I'm in good company with Cindy Lauper and Amanda Palmer.

xoLouisa

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can picture the adam/eli duet. yeah...

also, fie times nine thousand on your vocal chords.

say hi to my brother for me on wednesday night!

12:07 AM  
Blogger Constintina said...

More videos pls thx!

I think I'm gonna have to buy 90210 on iTunes to watch it! And did you see Jennie Garth's face? Is it her? What happened?

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home